Performance Tracker project update

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 23 12:01:09 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:48:23AM +0100, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to send a small update on my progress on the Performance Tracker
> project.
>
> I now have a small setup of a server and a slave chugging along, currently
> collecting data. I'm following CURRENT and collecting results from
> super-smack and unixbench.
>
> The project still needs some work, but there's a temporary web interface to
> the data here: http://littlebit.dk:5000/plot/. Apart from the plotting it's
> possible to compare two dates and see the files that have changed. Error
> bars are 3*standard deviation, for the points with multiple measurements.
>
> Of interest is e.g. super-smack (select-key, 1 client) right when the
> GENERIC kernel was moved from the 4BSD to ULE scheduler on Oct. 19.
> Unixbench (arithmetic test, float) also has a significant jump on Oct. 3.
>
> There setup of the slave is documented roughly on the page but I'll be
> writing a full report and documentation over the next month.

Nice work so far!  It's neat that you've already been able to spot changes.

A couple suggestions for the graphs.  It would be nice if the graphs had an
arrow indicating the "good" direction (i.e. which direction of movement is an
improvement).  Also, a graph of the derivative of the curve might be
interesting for at a glance trending.

-- Brooks