UCD-MIB for bsnmpd?

Alan Amesbury amesbury at umn.edu
Thu Jan 17 12:53:42 PST 2008

The stock bsnmpd implementation in FreeBSD 6 and 7 is somewhat lacking
in terms of being able to report CPU and disk I/O stats as reported by
the version of net-snmp in the ports tree (net-snmp-5.3.2_1).  In
particular, net-snmp does relatively straightforward reporting of things
like ssCpuUser, diskIONRead, etc.  However, it currently lacks the HC
(64-bit) counters for IF-MIB found in bsnmpd.  A quick check of the docs
accompanying net-snmp (README.agent-mibs) suggest that Linux is the only
OS for which net-snmp provides the ifXTable support apparently needed
for HC counters.

I'd like to run bsnmpd, but need the UCD-MIB for other performance
monitoring.  I could run net-snmp and proxy requests through it to
bsnmpd, but that strikes me as inelegant.  There's a bsnmpd-ucd module
at Google

	http://bsnmp-ucd.googlecode.com/

which is seems to work, except for some minor bugs in what it reports
for laLoadFloat.[123].  Have any of you experience with this?  Are there
plans to add it to the ports tree?  (There's already a ports-compatible
tarball.)  Alternatively, are any of you using the IF-MIB HC counters
with an SNMP daemon that also supports UCD-MIB and, if so, which one?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

--
Alan Amesbury
University of Minnesota