NFS performance

Markus Klaschka mk at mkdev.eu
Thu Apr 17 09:01:46 UTC 2008

That's interesting cause heavy reading from NFS brought me a loadavg of
70 and more if there were a lot of small files to read.
I thought this is a normal issue about NFS...
By the way, are all Realtek Cards for the bin or only the 8139...the
server has a 'RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter'
I mean, you all know this, if not read the comments in that file ;)

    root at kalium:~ > grep worst /usr/src/sys/pci/if_rl.c
    * probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the
    possible

What could be configured wrong?
What's the best way to test bandwidth if I only got one well connected
server? pathchar?

Cheers
Markus

Kris Kennaway schrieb:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:02:33AM +1000, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>
>> On 15/04/2008, at 10:54 PM, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
>>
>>> I am working with the Chelsio hardware and it seems to be well
>>> supported on FreeBSD.  All the machines in that system are FreeBSD
>>> though.  How do you intend to get the OSX systems to be 10GE?
>>>
>> What sort of throughput are you getting with that setup? Are you using
>> NFS between the systems?
>>

> I get about 150 MB/sec NFS random write throughput between chelsio
> NICs.  We are still in the process of optimizing NFS at the high end.
> For bulk packet throughput it is not difficult to saturate it.
>
> Kris
>
> --
> In God we Trust -- all others must submit an X.509 certificate.
>     -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe at alum.mit.edu>

Markus Klaschka
MKDev - Markus Klaschka Development
http://www.mkdev.eu