10GbE speeds

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 16 07:31:06 UTC 2008

At Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:02:33 +1000,
Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> On 15/04/2008, at 10:54 PM, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:
> > I am working with the Chelsio hardware and it seems to be well
> > supported on FreeBSD.  All the machines in that system are FreeBSD
> > though.  How do you intend to get the OSX systems to be 10GE?
>

> What sort of throughput are you getting with that setup? Are you using
> NFS between the systems?

I haven't done any performance testing of bandwidth as yet and we are
not using these for NFS.

> Good question about OSX, and I hadn't got to that part yet :-) But I
> was hoping that some OSX drivers existed. My fail back plan is to
> put 3 x 1GbE NICs into the server and just use crossover cable
> between the 3 workstations and the server to avoid any contention
> within the ethernet network.

I think you want either a pure 10GbE network or a pure 1GbE network
because my understanding is that 10GbE switches have issues with mixed
links.  I have not tested that first hand yet though.

Best,
George