ULE vs. 4BSD in RELENG_7

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:06:48 PDT 2007

I decided to do some testing of concurrent processes (rather than a
single process that's multi-threaded). Specifically, I ran 4 ffmpeg
(without the -threads option) commands at the same time. The
difference was less than a percent:

4bsd:   439.92 real      1755.91 user         1.08 sys
ule:      442.10 real      1754.65 user         1.34 sys

The difference in user/sys is slight, but there. Not sure if that's
pertinent, though, given it is such a small percentage.

I also ran the same scenario with mencoder, with similar results:

4bsd:   377.96 real      1501.58 user         2.04 sys
ule:      377.50 real      1501.68 user         1.93 sys

I think this is important, as it shows an N-process workload on an
N-processor system is the same between ULE and 4BSD, while a single
process (N-threads) workload on an N-processor system seems to favor
4BSD (at least for media encoding). I'm still unsure why MySQL is so
much better with ULE, given these results.

Again, hope this information is useful!

Josh