ULE vs. 4BSD in RELENG_7

Jeff Roberson jroberson at chesapeake.net
Sun Nov 4 15:30:57 PST 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Josh Carroll wrote:

>> Josh, I included one too many changes in the diff and it made the results
>> ambiguous.  I've scaled it back slightly by removing the changes to
>> sched_pickcpu() and included the patch in this email again.  Can you run
>> through your tests once more?  I'd like to commit this part soon as it
>> helps in other cases.  I'm most interested in the buildworld numbers for
>> now.
>
> Sure, I can run through them. Should I change the slice_min value at
> all during testing to compare different values? Or is that part of the
> other patch that is not included in this (haven't fetched and grep'd
> it yet). :)
>
> I'll get the benchmark numbers as soon as I can.

Turns out the last patch I posted had a small compile error because I
edited it by hand to remove one section.  Here's an updated patch that
fixes that and changes the min/max slice values to something more
reasonable.  Slice min should be around 4 with a max of 12.

Also looks like 4BSD's slice handling got more precise recently as well.
jhb changed it from using a callout to an actual counter based on runtime.

Thanks,
Jeff