Where to troubleshoot Intel PRO/1000 performance problems?

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Fri Mar 23 18:25:42 UTC 2007

> Eygene,
>
>   Both machines are reporting a 1Gb link:
> 	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseTX <full-duplex>)
>
> Thanks for you help though.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong to cause these types of
problems.  Some of the more common I've seen that you didn't provide
enough information for me to guess at:
*) Some switches suck.  Some gigabit switches don't really move data
   faster than 100mbit.  Some incorrectly negotiate the speed/duplex.
   I understand that the FreeBSD side is correct, but I've seen the
   _switch_ side be incorrect, which causes all manner of lousy
   performance.
*) Your testing methodology is flawed.  You sure the machine you're
   testing against can do gb/s?  Are you sure whatever is providing
   the data can feed it at gb/s?  This is a very common mistake as
   well.  Since you don't describe your testing methodology, I can
   only speculate.

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:47:54AM +0300, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > Sally, good day.
> >
> > Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:16:02AM -0700, Sally Janghos wrote:
> > > I'm looking for some suggestions on where to start troubleshooting
> > > performance issues on a Intel PRO 1000 card.
> > >
> > > It's installed in a box with the following configuration:
> > > 	FreeBSD 6.1
> > > 	AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+ (1741.42-MHz 686-class CPU)
> > > 	Dell CERC SATA RAID 2
> > >
> > > The file transfer(ftp/smb/scp) speeds from/to this machine do not
> > > appear to go above 10Mb.
> >
> > Assuming that you're talking about MBytes/sec there is a chance
> > that your network link is using 100 MBit/sec full-duplex mode instead
> > of 1Gbit/sec. Try to do 'ifconfig | grep media' on the FreeBSD box
> > and watch for the speed regime specification.
> >
> > > The other machine doing the transfers has similar specs (same
> > > Ethernet Card) but is a Windows XP box.
> >
> > Windows should report the interface speed too: unplug the cable, plug it
> > again and watch for the fancy popup on the taskbar. Or check the interface
> > properties box.
> > --
> > Eygene

Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.