network perf : em driver ?

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Fri Jan 12 09:56:33 PST 2007

Patrick Proniewski wrote:
> On 12 janv. 07, at 11:45, R. B. Riddick wrote:
>
>> --- Patrick Proniewski <patpro at patpro.net> wrote:
>>> I'll give FTP a try, but I would like the network to be fast for
>>> every protocols. I'm planning to share data using NFS, WebDAV, or SMB
>>> (and scp occasionally), but I've still to choose and configure
>>> appropriate servers.
>>>
>> We had that problem before: Some HTTP server implementations just dont
>> bring
>> it... :-) thttpd is quite efficient, I have heard...
>
> apache (2.2) is not supposed to be so inefficient :/ But you are right,
> I might need to try a lighter server.
>
>> You can try
>> 1. src/tools/tools/netrate/netblast
>> 2. increase MTU (ifconfig em0 mtu 65536 or so; never tried that myself)
>> 3. ports/benchmarks/tcpblast
>> 4. build something with nc:
>> server: nc -l 1234 > /dev/null
>> client: dd if=/dev/zero bs=1m | nc serverIP 1234
>> which will eliminate disk latency...
>

> I'll try this ASAP.
> thank you for the tips.

Maybe i misunderstood something but i think 6.2 has some changes done to
how it identifies local networks and how that affects inflight.
Try disabling tcp inflight for these tests.
Also SACK seems to affect the local network performance.

Also try:
sysctl net.inet.tcp.delayedack=0

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal