bizarre performance issues in 6.2 release

Sat Feb 17 16:35:32 UTC 2007

Quoting "Steven H. Baeighkley" <stevenb at frii.com> (from Fri, 16 Feb
2007 16:40:46 -0700):

> These servers are running apache, perl, proftpd and php. One server is
> running 4.11 and is rocking the world, load is rarely above 1 and is
> regularly below .5. The other server is running 6.2 and regularly has
> load between 2 and 6 despite serving fewer connections than the 4.11
> box.

Using the load of unequal operating system versions as a measure for
performance is not a good idea. In fact, the algorithm to count the
load did change between 4.x and 5.x (the numbers are larger now, but
the box should be able to do the same amount of work). A more
appropriate value to measure the performance is to benchmark the
number of handled connections to a service in a specific timeframe, or
the min/max/avg response time of a request. I suggest to have a look
at "ab", "jmeter" or similar tools to measure the performance of a web
server.

When those numbers are different by an significant amount, feel free
to come back and ask for suggestions (but first google around please,
accf_http and libthr may make a difference and are well documented).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.