mysql scaling questions

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Sun Dec 30 05:24:56 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 02:18:31PM +0100, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Gergely CZUCZY wrote:

> >>Also, can you verify with a read-only test to see where it's at?  I have not tested writes with that many threads.  I notice mysql
> >>goes much faster with a fresh table too.  So can you blow away and recreate the sysbench tables and then do read-only?  If that is
> >>much slower we'll know there is some configuration problem or similar.
> >It will all be available here:
> >http://phoemix.harmless.hu/mysql/
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.  I have a couple of comments about this:
>
> * You are using some very old mysql versions and trying to compare between diferent versions.  New minor releases in the 5.0 series had
> very different performance, and you really need to be using at least 5.0.45 (I didn't notice a performance change between 5.0.45 and
> 5.0.51 but there was a big improvement in every release up to .45.  In addition, versions older than (I think) .37 have serious
> performance bugs).
>
> I appreciate that you might be constrained by local requirements, but it's really not meaningful to compare different mysql versions if
> your goal is to study OS performance.
It'd be a PITA to install the both versions. Maybe now, that the ports freeze is over, i can
do something. But honestly, every mysql version was faster on linux, than eny on FreeBSD,
even the .22 one was faster. We start work on Jan02, I will see what can I do.

> * What database engine are you using?  I have only tested with innodb but maybe you are using myisam?  Please provide your exact
> sysbench command lines.
MyISAM, of course. InnoDB is not any good with replication, and we need backup.

> * Compare to my config file here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/my.cnf
>
> The default mysql config has very poor performance for innodb (you need at least innodb_thread_concurrency = 0 to disable some mysql
> brain-death).  Maybe tuning is required for myisam also.
>
> * Also make sure you are using identical config settings on the two systems.
http://phoemix.harmless.hu/mysql/ verify yourself. Only the paths are
updated, but the main parameters are just the same.

> * With the above, please compare read-only mode also (I think Jeff already asked you about this but I didnt see a reply).  That will
> allow us to calibrate what is going on.
http://phoemix.harmless.hu/mysql/ro-all.png
The graph is mistitled as Read-write, but it's a readonly test.

Sincerely,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.