mysql scaling questions

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Dec 4 03:08:54 PST 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:40:55AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 04:22 AM 12/4/2007, Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> >>
> >> Fire up the 3ware controller's RAID management software and make sure the same write caching strategy is set for FreeBSD and Linux. The driver my
> >> default to different values.
> >>
> >> i.e. under "controller settings" make sure "write cache" and "queuing" are the same values for linux and freebsd.
> >I fail to see such an option, not under the 3ware BIOS software, nor in the tw_cli interface.
> >
> >Could you be more specific on this?
> >
> >Note: in the BIOS i've seen WC turned on for all units, and there were no
> >OS-specific options.
>

> Hi,
>         Its not in the bios, but in the management daemon.  On FreeBSD, go to /usr/ports/sysutils/3dm and install the daemon.  Start up 3dm2, point
> your browser to https://127.0.0.1:888  and login.  Go to management menu and look at "controller settings" and there will be the values of write cache
> and queuing and storsav.  Make sure the values set there, are the same on Linux and FreeBSD.  You can download the LINUX version from 3ware's website.
Thank you very much, I've made it worked. In both FreeBSD and Linux the write cache seems to be turned on in the web-based management. However, I still don't think this is OS-specific, since I see no OS-specific options, and 3ware makes the devices available through SCSI, and WC is handled differently there.

Sincerely,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.