gvinum raid5 performance seems slow

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 17:59:36 UTC 2006

Steve Peterson wrote:
> I guess the fundamental question is this -- if I have a 4 disk
> subsystem that supports an aggregate ~100MB/sec transfer raw to the
> underlying disks, is it reasonable to expect a ~5MB/sec transfer rate
> for a RAID5 hosted on that subsystem -- a 95% overhead.

Absolutely not, when I was investigating RAID5 performance the quickest
option I found was linux's software RAID which gave performance of
270MB/s iirc across 5 * 400Gb Disks on a Highpoint 1820a.

While doing this I gave givnum a quick test and saw similar results
as you so gave up with it as I didnt have time to investigate further.

    Steve