em forwarding performance (was Proposed 6.2 em RELEASE patch

Nick Pavlica linicks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 21:51:30 PST 2006

On 11/27/06, Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:
> At 02:12 PM 11/25/2006, Nick Pavlica wrote:
> >>I might give OpenBSD a quick try as a reference.
> >
> >Mike,
> >  Have you done any testing on Solaris 10, or OpenSolaris?  I
> >understand that it has a very robust IP stack.  It would be
>
> Did a quick default install. Results are not so interesting since one
> stream livelocks the box. Basic stats at http://www.tancsa.com/blast.html
>
> If there are some OpenSolaris wizards out there who want me to tune,
> I am happy to retest...
>
>          ---Mike

Mike,
  I'm not an OpenSolaris/Solaris expert, but was curious which build
you were testing with.  I have noticed various results with my testing
depending on which build I was using.  I have done most of my
testing/learning on Solaris 10 06/06, and have played with Solaris
Express B50 with good results.  I did see some quirks in
SolarisExpress CE or B52 at the time of this writing.  Of course I
patched all of these boxes before I did my testing which was mostly
centered around disk I/O performance on UFS and ZFS, and some
experimentation with Zones/Containers.  I'm surprised that the console
locked up during your tests.  My limited experience with Solaris 10+
thus far has been positive in terms of performance and stability.
When I have stressed my test systems, they remained responsive and
seemed to have better  performance than FC6 and Ubuntu6.10 when
copying large files across my network.

Thanks for digging in with this testing, I hope you keep at it.

--Nick