vlan forwarding performance (was Proposed em forwawrding performance)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 29 13:40:31 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Did some more tests, this time using a single NIC interface in trunking
> mode. Strangely enough, the speed is a little faster on HEAD. Perhaps less
> interrupt processing ?  Results in the usual place
>
> http://www.tancsa.com//blast.html

You may want to datestamp the version of HEAD you're using in each test
(assuming it changes between tests).  Among other things, I set
net.isr.direct=1 as the default a day or two ago, which will affect a broad
range of performance characteristics.  There have also been VLAN tagging
related performance improvements made in HEAD that aren't present in RELENG_6,
avoiding extra memory allocations and frees in storing the tags.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge