em forwarding performance (was Proposed 6.2 em RELEASE patch

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Nov 25 03:22:19 PST 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:36:05AM +0100 I heard the voice of
Divacky Roman, and lo! it spake thus:

> hm.. now I am confused. the rule is that having I586_CPU improves
> performance because optimized bzero/bcopy is included (its not
> included if you only have I686_CPU).

Haven't we been by this before?  It's not included even if you have
I586_CPU either.

See src/sys/i386/isa/npx.c, line 432:

#ifdef I586_CPU_XXX   <--------
                ^^^

This has been disabled since r1.95, in 2001 (in 5-CURRENT days).
There may be SOMETHING about including I586_CPU that speeds things up,
but it ain't that.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net