em forwarding performance (was Proposed 6.2 em RELEASE patch

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Nov 22 13:28:14 UTC 2006

At 08:09 AM 11/22/2006, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
>Hi Mike,
>
>Thank you for spending that much time for benchmarking, this is really
>interesting.

Hi,
         More to come, and if you can think of other tests let me
know.  Next is VLAN performance.

>Though this is a little bit off topic, I'm quite puzzled by the fact
>that having filtering rules on Linux or not doesn't change the result
>much.  NetFitler keeps track of *all* connections even if there are no
>ruleset loaded -- you don't have to ask for it

Not sure, but I would unload iptables from the kernel when
testing.  I will check again today as I want to go back and test the
LINUX kernel in UP mode to see what difference it makes.

>It would be interesting to know the real performance of Linux as a mere
>router if we want a true comparision with FreeBSD performances.

As just a router, they seem fairly close without any firewall
rules.  RELENG_4 seems to be the only clear leader in terms of raw
pps, at least in these tests.  I am still puzzled by the fact that
ipfw does relatively poorly compared to RELENG_4.

I also have some PCIe bge nics I will try and test. There are some
patches that Bruce Evans posted and I would like to see how they perform.

         ---Mike