Poor Samba throughput on 6.0

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Mon May 29 17:10:30 PDT 2006

On 5/27/06, Mike Jakubik <mikej at rogers.com> wrote:
> Dr. Rich Murphey wrote:
> > I get 25 to 30MB/sec between FreeBSD 6.0 and Windows XP
> > clients with tcp.inflight disabled and interrupt polling enabled
> > on a 1gb link without jumbo frames.
> >
> > The various Linux distributions do about the same on this hardware -
> > 3ware striped raid arrays, dual xeon, and 2Gb ram.
> >
> > in smb.conf I'm using:
> > socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> > strict locking = no
> > use sendfile = yes
> >

> Adding the last two options of my setup increased the upload rate by
> about 2MB/s, with peaks totaling to 20MB/s. The download rate has not
> been effected however.

I went from 7.5MB/s up to 9.3MB/s on a 100FD connection just by adding
that same last 2 options, I only had "socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY
TCP_NODELAY"
Thanks Rich!

> > 6.1 should be easier to tune in that tcp.inflight is selectively
> > disabled by default for low latency (LAN) connections.
>
> I am using -CURRENT here, disabling net.inet.tcp.inflight improves the
> download rate by 2MB/s!

How old is that CURRENT? I believe that shouldn't happen after Andre's
commit back in March.
I can't see any difference toggling inflight on or off.

--
Joao Barros