about ufs filesystem io performance!

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu May 25 12:46:42 UTC 2006

etalk etalk wrote:
> 5.3 vs 6.0 The test tool is Iozone3_257, and the test command is
> “./iozone -A -f /mnt/tmpfile.test -g 1g -n 1m -q 8k -y 2k -R -b
> outfile-Af.xls ” (http://www.iozone.org/src/current/). We ran all the
> tests on the same PC with 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU and 512M main memory.
> Figure1~Figure5 show the results of the file system performance
> comparison between Bsd5.3’s UFS2 and Bsd6.0’s UFS2 when testing with
> different file system (local, sync, async, softupdate, sync+softupdate).
> According to the figures, our conclusion is: On all kinds of file
> systems, the write, rewrite, read and reread performance of the two is
> almost same and we cant say that Bsd6.0 make a improvement on file
> system IO performance.
> http://blog.csdn.net/minerboyIo/Gallery/204114.aspx
> linux2.6.11 vs bsd 5.3 The test tool is Iozone3_257, and the test
> command is “./iozone -A -f /mnt/tmpfile.test -g 1g -n 4m -q 8k -y 2k -R
> -b outfile-Af.xls ” (http://www.iozone.org/src/current/). We ran all the
> tests on the same PC with 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU and 512M main memory,
> Figure1, Figure2, Figure3 show the results of the file system
> performance comparison between Bsd’s UFS2 and Linux’ Ext3 (the Linux
> kernel version is 2.6.11, and the Bsd kernel version is 5.3) when
> testing with sync, async and local (Bsd using softupdate) file system.
> According to the figures, our conclusion is: a.On local file system and
> async file system, Fedora4’s write and rewrite is much faster than
> Bsd5.3’s (about 5-10 times). b.On all kinds of file systems, the read
> and reread performance of FreeBsd5.3 is about 50%-90% lower than that of
> Fedora4. c.On sync file system, Bsd5.3 writes several times faster than
> Fedora4 does and rewrites over two hundred times faster than Fedora4
> does. http://blog.csdn.net/minerboyIo/Gallery/204107.aspx

You don't report the type of disks you are using, or anything about the
storage.  For the first test, I'd think that it's possible that you were
hitting hardware performance bottlenecks before actually testing the
filesystem performance.

Also, what are the 2,4,8 numbers referencing?  How many times did you
run the tests?

Eric