Fine-grained locking for POSIX local sockets (UNIX domain sockets)

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu May 11 16:04:54 UTC 2006

Robert Watson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2006, David Xu wrote:
>
>> Fixing one of big lock contentions is not enough, you have to fix them
>> all, it is easy to see that a second contention becomes a top one. :-)
>

> So I guess the real question is: do we want to merge the UNIX domain
> socket locking work?  The MySQL gains sound good, the performance drop
> under very high load seems problematic, and there are more general
> questions about performance with other workloads.
>
> Maintaining this patch for a month or so is no problem, but as the tree
> changes it will get harder.
>
> Robert N M Watson

The only thing I'm afraid of is that it'll get pushed onto the
back-burner once it's in CVS, and we'll have a mad scramble to fix
it when it's time for 7.0.  That's not a show-stopper for it going
in, as there are also numerous benefits.  It's just something that
needs to be tracked and worked on.

Scott