packet drop with intel gigabit / marwell gigabit

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Sun Mar 19 12:56:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Arne Woerner wrote:

> --- OxY <oxy at field.hu> wrote:
>> but the udp drop came out (10-15%) when i stopped apache (all
>> tcp traffic) and initiated a local disk-to-disk file copy to
> make some
>> load.
>>
> Ok... That lets my idea look wrong... :-))
>
> Then it might be the main board like somebody else wrote some
> minutes ago (maybe ur main board cannot move so much data so
> quickly)?
> My Athlon XP 2400+ can do more than 2000Mbit/sec, when I do
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1m count=1000
> Maybe u want to try the same on ur "patient"?

The main thing to look out for is the pci-bus.
A normal 33mhz/64bits pci bus can only do about
100 megabyte, if storage and and network are both
connected to this bus contention will happen.

(70mb ide, and 500mbit network just won't fit)

Which is why most newer motherboards have dedicated
paths for network and sata.
This is also why serverboards have faster/wider and multiple pci
buses, and why pci-e has dedicated paths for each slot.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem