Dual-core CPU vs. very large cache

Shane Ambler Shane at 007Marketing.com
Fri Apr 28 10:29:13 UTC 2006

On 28/4/2006 1:38, "Mike Jakubik" <mikej at rogers.com> wrote:

> Martin Nilsson wrote:
>> Mike Jakubik wrote:
>>> As much as i love AMDs cpus, the availability of good server
>>> motherboards and chipsets stinks, hopefully that will change when
>>> socket AM2 comes out.
>>
>> That is an old myth: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/
>
> Its not an old myth. Find me a single cpu opteron board, with dual Intel
> network cards (bge and nve suck ass) connected to a PCIe bus. Sorry, it
> doesn't exist. You have your pick of the old AMD chipset, the crappy
> Nvidia, or the unsupported ServerWorks, which still doesn't have PCIe.

I haven't dug real deep for data but a casual look through the Intel's dual
Xeon board specs shows they don't say where their network controllers are
connected but some of their boards have an Intel ethernet controller as well
as "one Marvell* Yukon* -EC 88E8050 PCI Express*"

Sounds to me like Intel doesn't have ethernet controllers that run on PCIe
regardless of the cpu