Dual-core CPU vs. very large cache

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Wed Apr 26 14:52:01 UTC 2006

David Gilbert wrote:
> This isn't random.  As I understand the issue, the Opteron HT bus
> handles synchronization much faster.  So for a game --- this doesn't
> matter ... games don't (usually) need sync.  Databases, however, live
> on synchonizaton.  If you're a Dell man (and already paying the Dell
> tax), consider the Sun 1U's.  They offer up to 4 cores in a 1U.

Sure, the HTT bus is wonderful. Intel will raise the FSB to 1067, but i
still think we will see significant performance improvements on the new
Core architecture. The Conroe CPU throughly trashes an AMD Athlon-X2 at
a "higher" frequency. For those interested:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

As much as i love AMDs cpus, the availability of good server
motherboards and chipsets stinks, hopefully that will change when socket
AM2 comes out.