Dual-core CPU vs. very large cache

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Wed Apr 26 14:35:10 UTC 2006

Mike> Steven Hartland wrote:
>> Forget Intel and go for AMD who beat them hands down for DB work:
>> http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2745

Mike> It will be interesting to see how Intels new CPUs (Conroe,
Mike> Woodcrest, etc) will perform. From initial gaming benchmarks,
Mike> they seems to outperform the current AMD offerings. But for
Mike> current technology i agree, go for an Opteron system.

This isn't random.  As I understand the issue, the Opteron HT bus
handles synchronization much faster.  So for a game --- this doesn't
matter ... games don't (usually) need sync.  Databases, however, live
on synchonizaton.  If you're a Dell man (and already paying the Dell
tax), consider the Sun 1U's.  They offer up to 4 cores in a 1U.

Dave.