SATA: RAID 5 controller recommendations

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 16:23:34 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Tancsa" <mike at sentex.net>

> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/spool/test bs=32k count=20000
> 20000+0 records in
> 20000+0 records out
> 655360000 bytes transferred in 7.587819 secs (86370011 bytes/sec)

Interesting results there that's very similar to what I get here ( have
a 8 port Areca here as well ). Why so interesting? Well the cheapo
hightech smokes it on that very test pushes 180MB/s from a 5 disk
setup. The problem is that's not worth nothing if its not stable :(

Thanks for all the responses guys.

For what its worth this is the error:
[error]
IAL: COMPLETION ERROR, adapter 0, channel 5, flags = 104
ATA regs: error 10, sector count 20, LBA Low ff, LBA mid ff, LBA high ff, device 4f, status 51
channel 5: perform recalibrate command
hptmv: Retry on channel(5)
hptmv: too many retires on channel(5)
hptmv: Device removed: controller 1 channel 5
[/error]

I dont know if its a hardware issue or just a driver bug. I've tried the
latest version 1.12 as well as the built in FreeBSD 1.1 based driver
no joy. Tried 1.13 and 1.16 BIOS no difference always ditches
disk 4 which is odd and why I suspected a duff disk, cable, or port
but all have now been checked :(

Dont know if Scott ( did the original driver port iirc ) or Søren the
resident IDE guru would have any ideas if this is a hardware or a
driver issue.

    Regards
    Steve