SATA: RAID 5 controller recommendations

Tulio Guimarães da Silva tuliogs at pgt.mpt.gov.br
Wed Oct 19 06:31:11 PDT 2005

  For price/benefit, I too recommend the HPTs, specially the 1820A. It´s
not THE killer for speed, but it´s fairly stable, factory-supported on
FBSD, has good management utils (including remote, via daemon) and is
about half the price of its competitors. Besides, the "A" model has its
own XOR processor, what apparently frees some CPU usage (I can´t really
tell, since we use them on quite good machines and haven´t seen good
benchmarks comparing 1820 to 1820A).
  In addition, it´s low-profile, fitting even 1U rack servers, and
provides its own brackets for low- and high-profile... *but* it has no
integrated memory, and no I2C options, if it´s an issue. It´s the only
downside with them, in my opinion.
  In the other hand, I would take a look at the Areca´s, it´s not the
first time I hear good comments on these. They´re double the HPTs price,
but come with onboard ECC SDRAM and I2C features. Sounds good to me. ;)
  Good luck. :)

Túlio G. da Silva