Call for performance evaluation: net.isr.direct

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 12 04:45:19 PDT 2005

At Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:01:11 +0100 (BST),
rwatson wrote:
> If I don't hear anything back in the near future, I will commit a
> change to 7.x to make direct dispatch the default, in order to let a
> broader community do the testing.  :-) If you are setup to easily
> test stability and performance relating to direct dispatch, I would
> appreciate any help.

One thing I would caution, though I have no proof nor have I made any
tests (yes, I know, bad gnn), is that I would expect this change to
degrade non-network performance when the network is under load.  This
kind of change is most likely to help those with purely network loads,
i.e. routers, bridges, etc and to hurt anyone else.  Are you
absolutely sure we should make this the default?

Later,
George