Poor Samba throughput on 6.0

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Wed Nov 9 18:00:45 PST 2005

Nick Evans wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:24:18 -0500
> Mike Jakubik <mikej at rogers.com> wrote:
>

>> I have done many tests to try to determine the poor performance on my
>> systems (FreeBSD-current connected directly to Windows XP via identical
>> Intel Pro 1000 cards) and my only conclusion is that Samba on FreeBSD
>> when talking to a Windows box is simply fubared. Im willing to bet thats
>> not the case on Linux. I can get great speeds (~30MB/s) using ftp
>> between the machines, but when i use Samba, i get a maximum of 11MB/s. I
>> have tried playing with mtu size, samba options, polling, but there does
>> not seem to be any visible bottlenecks, its just simply slow. It would
>> be great if someone could get to the bottom of this, its quite frustrating.
>>

> Has anyone tried mounting a FreeBSD/Samba share with smbfs from another
> FreeBSD machine? Also are the Windows PC's stock or have you tried tweaking
> TCP there?

Yes, here are my results, WindowsXP is stock.

Machine A
-----------
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (1410.21-MHz 686-class CPU)
Mem: 512MB
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.1.7>
Samba-3.0.20b,1 server

Machine B
-----------
Dual boot FreeBSD 6R and WndowsXP
CPU: AthlonXP 2400
Mem: 1GB
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.1.7>
Samba client

Tests sending a random 400MB file:

A sending to B(FreeBSD)
--------------------------
Samba = 13MB/s
Ftp = 16MB/s

A sending to B(WindowsXP)
-----------------------------
Samba = 13MB
Ftp = 16MB

B(FreeBSD) sending to A
Samba = 2.5MB/s
Ftp = 25MB/s

B(WindowsXP) sending to A
Samba = 17MB/s
Ftp = 31MB/s

Very, very odd results. Machine B has raid0, yet it experiences the
slowest incoming speeds in ftp. I cant begin to imagine where the
problem is, but we can see that there is no real hardware bottlenecks.