Performance/lockup issues with FreeBSD as a router

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 26 12:07:45 PDT 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Peter Kieser wrote:
> I've tried without fast forwarding, I've tried without the TCP
> sendspace as well
> as reducing it to 65K, I let maxusers auto tune itself and I've
> even tried uping
> the KVA space.

OK.  You didn't mention whether this helped or made no difference.  :-)

> I'm at a loss, what would be the ideal sysctl's/loader.conf for a
> router thats
> doing a fair amount of traffic?

Using FreeBSD as a router is a very common task: you generally don't
need to tune anything to have it work pretty well, if the hardware
underneath is OK.  Can you confirm that you're not losing the
connections because a NIC freaks out and drops the carrier, or
something along those lines?

What does top look like, and "netstat -m" and "netstat -i" look like
during a lockup...?  Anything in the logs or dmesg?

--
-Chuck