Bad 3ware 9000 performance 5.4?

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Thu May 19 22:26:05 PDT 2005

Alexis Yushin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running FreeBSD 5.4... three machines with twe/3ware 8000 and three twa/
> 3ware 9500-8 controllers. All of them running RAID 1+0 without write cache
> since we dont have battery backup unit. All of them Seagate 7200 SATA.
> I get about 46Mb/s write on the 8000 series and only 5(!)MB/s on the 9500 series.

I have noticed that the MegaRAID SATA cards sometimes disables the write
cache on Seagate SATA drives, resulting in a write performance of about
6MB/s. Can you check if the 3ware also does this. I have had arrays were
only one disk had write cache disabled and it totally ruined the
performance of the whole array.

As always be sure to have a good UPS if you are using write cache on the
disks! With the sad state of todays ATA/SATA disks turning of write
caching in the drive is often not an option.

/Martin