64bit CPUs

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sun May 1 16:35:00 PDT 2005

At 03:10 PM 01/05/2005, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 09:46:09AM -0400 I heard the voice of
>Mike Tancsa, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > A somewhat obvious question to some perhaps, but what server
> > application mix on FreeBSD today sees an improvement using 64bit
> > CPUs ?
>
>It should be noted that according to most benchmarks I've seen, the
>amd64 chips are the fastest 32-bit chips available.

I havent paid that much attention to the comparisons as they tend to be
very windows based and games to boot.  But surely its hard to compare
across platforms. The CPUs require different chipsets, so some of the
performance results can be due to the MB and RAM.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050221/prescott-10.html#synthetic
The P4 640 3.2Ghz is about the same price at one of my suppliers as the 64
3500+ and the numbers are not that different.

For me to switch to a different platform and risk stability issues there
would have to be some decent payoff in either cost savings or serious
performance differences.  I am thinking perhaps for my RADIUS accounting
database which is very large might benefit as I have already maxed out the RAM.

>And don't forget bragging rights!  Servers always run faster when
>they're cool...

Nahhh... I am an uncool kind of guy.  Hell, my glasses are still from the 80s!

         ---Mike