64bit CPUs

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun May 1 12:10:03 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 09:46:09AM -0400 I heard the voice of
Mike Tancsa, and lo! it spake thus:

> A somewhat obvious question to some perhaps, but what server
> application mix on FreeBSD today sees an improvement using 64bit
> CPUs ?

It should be noted that according to most benchmarks I've seen, the
amd64 chips are the fastest 32-bit chips available.  So, even if
you're not using the full 64-bit capability in your apps (or even just
running them purely in 32-bit mode), you're in the green.  There are
other advantage to them (like register space) than simply the 32/64
split.

And don't forget bragging rights!  Servers always run faster when
they're cool...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net