FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Tue Jun 28 05:59:28 GMT 2005

Steve Roome wrote:
> Sorry, good point, here's the my.cnf we're using. Please note however
> that although the configuration may not be optimal, we have been using
> the same config for benchmarking on Linux also. No matter how broken
> this my.cnf is we still shouldn't find MySQL running half the speed on
> an "identical" setups only switching from Linux to FreeBSD.

Hi,
Have you tested some more real-world queries on Linux vs. FreeBSD?
The select-key.smack is a very simple test, a very small table (5.3MB on
disk, 90k rows), no joins/sorts and only selects from index. Maybe the
performance difference just affects the connect/communication/thread
syncronistaion and thus this simple test is a worst case test of
performance between Linux & FreeBSD.

I'll try to set up something here so I can make some tests too...

How does a P4/Xeon compare to Athlon64/Opteron on these tests (Linux vs
FreeBSD) the long pipeline in the P4 (Prescott/Nocona) is difficult to
optimize for, SMP syncronisation is also much more expensive on
netburst, maybe the are better at doing this in Linux?

Regards,
Martin