FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10 and dragonfly

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Feb 2 14:19:26 PST 2005

At 04:58 PM 02/02/2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Urmmm.  how about a bit more information... what are the machine
>     configurations?

Sorry, it was a few postings ago in the same thread. Its
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2GB RAM
Intel Gig NICs (em)
One big RAID5 partition on a 8xxx 3ware with 4 SATA drives, default options
on the 3ware.

full dmesg at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-performance/2005-February/001077.html

Apart from the dragonfly boot CD, I had a separate IDE disk for the OSes
that I would boot from so that the partition info for the 3ware would
remain the same.

[nfs]# diskinfo -tv twed0s1d
twed0s1d
         512             # sectorsize
         750170179584    # mediasize in bytes (699G)
         1465176132      # mediasize in sectors
         91202           # Cylinders according to firmware.
         255             # Heads according to firmware.
         63              # Sectors according to firmware.

Seek times:
         Full stroke:      250 iter in   4.393885 sec =   17.576 msec
         Half stroke:      250 iter in   4.386907 sec =   17.548 msec
         Quarter stroke:   500 iter in   6.939157 sec =   13.878 msec
         Short forward:    400 iter in   2.234404 sec =    5.586 msec
         Short backward:   400 iter in   2.124618 sec =    5.312 msec
         Seq outer:       2048 iter in   0.360554 sec =    0.176 msec
         Seq inner:       2048 iter in   0.386926 sec =    0.189 msec
Transfer rates:
         outside:       102400 kbytes in   1.443528 sec =    70937 kbytes/sec
         middle:        102400 kbytes in   1.399967 sec =    73145 kbytes/sec
         inside:        102400 kbytes in   1.428718 sec =    71673 kbytes/sec

[nfs]#

>     I can figure some things out.  Clearly the BSD write numbers are dropping
>     at a block size of 2048 due to vfs.write_behind being set to 1.

Interesting, I didnt know of this. I really should re-read tuning(8). What
are the dangers of setting it to zero?

>   Just as
>     clearly, Linux is not bothering to write out ANY data, and then able to
>     take advantage of the fact that the test file is being destroyed by
>     iozone (so it can throw away the data rather then write it out).  This
>     skews the numbers to the point where the benchmark doesn't even come
> close
>     to reflecting reality, though I do believe it points to an issue with
>     the BSDs ... the write_behind heuristic is completely out of date now
>     and needs to be reworked.

http://www.iozone.org is what I was using to test with.  Although right
now, the box I am trying to put together is a Samba and NFS server for
mostly static web content.

In the not too distant future, a file server for IMAP/POP3 front ends.  I
think postmark does a good job at simulating that.

Are there better benchmarks / methods of testing that would give a more
fair comparison that you know of? I know all benchmarks have many caveats,
but I am trying to approach this somewhat methodically.  I am just about to
start another round of testing with nfs using multiple machines pounding
the one server.  I was just going to run postmark on the 3 clients machines
(starting out at the same time).

Ultimately I dont give a toss if one is 10% or even 20% better than the
other.  For that money, a few hundred dollars in RAM and CPU would change
that.  We are mostly a BSD shop so I dont want to deploy a LINUX box for
25% faster disk I/O.  But if the differences are far more acute, I need to
perhaps take a bit more notice.