Constraining CPU usage

Arne Woerner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 05:35:34 PST 2005

--- Shane Ambler <Shane at 007Marketing.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/2005 3:14, "Arne Woerner"
> <arne_woerner at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Why should somebody want to keep CPU usage of a
> > process below a certain value (e. g. 20%)?
>
> Well if your machine isn't smp enabled (specifically
> pre-HTT) then one process can slow the server down
> to a point where your web/databse server can't get
> processor time to give a response - effectively making
> it non existent for the duration.

Hmm...

Isn't that problem solved already by nice'ing a process?
I think that problem is completely solved by idprio'ing a
process...

Because:
When the NIC gets a packet for a database server, the kernel
interrupts the executing of a potential idprio'ed process and
starts the DB process... Or am I wrong?

-Arne