Slow apache response

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Wed Aug 17 15:22:03 GMT 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 4:11 AM, Shane Ambler wrote:

> I am running a traffic exchange site and have just moved to a
> dedicated
> server (new server has been running 15 hours).
>
> Server is a P4 1.8G with 1024MB RAM
>
> Pages seem to be loading slower than the previous virtual server
> account but
> looking at top shows idle% to stay above 80
>
> The mysql backend is located off the server and has not changed in
> any way
> when the web server changed.

Is it possible that the old apache install had additional modules
loaded to compress the output?  I think its called mod_gzip in 1.3.
I'm more familiar with apache 2.  That would make pages load "faster"
in the sense that less bandwith is required by the client and
server.   It would use more cpu and may not scale as well in terms of
total responses.

Also, you said the mysql database hasn't changed and that you were on
a virtual server.  Was the mysql database on the virtual server?
There might be more latency to your database.  Are you using a
compressed or uncompressed mysql protocol?

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)
FoolishGames.net (Enemy Territory IoM site)

Think PC.. in 2006 you can own an Apple PCintosh. Whats next, windows
works?