Very low disk performance Highpoint 1820a

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 08:59:08 PDT 2005

--- Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:
> First, understand that RAID 5 is dependant on fast hardware to
> performa
> the XOR operations.  A single disk without any RAID can easily
> outperform a RAID array if the RAID array is on a 'slow'
> controller.
> The Highpoint controllers are not exactly high-end fast RAID
> controllers, so ~50MB/s isn't too bad for that I would say.
> Did you  happen to try a vinum RAID5?  How about a stripe?

Furthermore RAID-5 needs to read the parity block, before it can
update that block, so that there are 2 disc transactions more,
which could explain the better performance of a single disk, too?

Or does the striping effect (inherent to RAID-5) compensate those
2 extra transactions (at least in case of sequential writes)?

-Arne