Very low disk performance Highpoint 1820a

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Apr 28 08:48:30 PDT 2005

Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Anderson" <anderson at centtech.com>
>
>>> Where do I start looking?
>

>> First, understand that RAID 5 is dependant on fast hardware to
>> performa the XOR operations.  A single disk without any RAID can
>> easily outperform a RAID array if the RAID array is on a 'slow'
>> controller. The Highpoint controllers are not exactly high-end fast
>> RAID controllers, so ~50MB/s isn't too bad for that I would say.  Did
>> you happen to try a vinum RAID5?  How about a stripe?
>

> The quoted benchmarks for this controller are ~500MB/s with 8 raptor
> disks. Its a hardware RAID 5 with 8 SATA channels on 64Bit PCI-X
> @ 133Mhz so under the current setup it should be achieving ~250MB/s
> Im only getting 50MB/s which is just silly.
>
> It was also my inderstanding that the XOR is only done on write
> not read.

Correct - I misread the dd line.  When you are doing the dd, what is
your system busy doing?   (top/ps info)

>> You could make two RAID 5's with the controller, and then stripe those
>> in vinum.  You could also do a combo of two stripes in the controller,
>> and a vinum mirror in FreeBSD - that would give you decent performance.
>

> I could but it seems there is something more problematic a foot
> here and would like to investigate the reason for the poor performance
> not workaround it.

What do you suspect?

Some info from one of my arrays:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=./testfile bs=64k count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
655360000 bytes transferred in 3.581413 secs (182989226 bytes/sec)

(unmount / mount filesystem)
# dd if=./testfile of=/dev/null bs=64k count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
655360000 bytes transferred in 6.747707 secs (97123362 bytes/sec)

# dd if=/dev/da0s1d of=/dev/null bs=64k count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
655360000 bytes transferred in 11.252226 secs (58242699 bytes/sec)

Seems like the reads should be faster than the writes..

Eric