Performance Intel Pro 1000 MT (PWLA8490MT)

Michael DeMan michael at staff.openaccess.org
Tue Apr 19 14:18:38 PDT 2005

Yes,

Its also important to differentiate between routing and switching
needs.  Not in the regular layer-3 and layer-2 concept, but in the
deployment environment you anticipate.

If you really need high throughput  ports, nothing will beat a regular
switch (layer-2 or layer-3) because Cisco, 3COM, etc, all have
dedicated hardware that will give you wire-speed gigabit, and nearly a
gigabit at layer-3.  Although they use slow CPUs, the bulk of the work
is done in the hardware of the ports/blades themselves, not the CPU.

On the other hand, with a UNIX-like router, the bulk of the packet
processing is done in the CPU, and hence the need for far more CPU
power to keep up with the network interfaces.

In our case, being an ISP, we actually don't need much on the main
backbone links and in many cases use Soekris boxes that are 133MHz and
give us 30-40Mbit throughput.

However, in office environments, or connecting branch offices with
fiber, you may very well want that full gigabit of speed and the
appropriate solution is a real switch, not a UNIX-like router.

One advantage of the UNIX-like solution is in handling routing tables
and such.  Since Cisco/3COM/etc typically use slow CPUs and have low
limits on the amount of RAM they can take, if you have large routing
tables for OSPF or BGP or something, the UNIX-like machines are far
cheaper to deploy.

Anyway, just my 2-cents from right now.  I'm always learning more about
this all the time.

- mike

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology