Performance Intel Pro 1000 MT (PWLA8490MT)

Bosko Milekic bmilekic at technokratis.com
Tue Apr 19 14:42:13 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:04:10PM +0200, Eivind Hestnes wrote:
> It's correct that the card is plugged into a 32-bit 33 Mhz PCI slot. If
> i'm not wrong, 33 Mhz PCI slots has a peak transfer rate of 133 MByte/s.
> However, when pulling 180 mbit/s without the polling enabled the system
> is very little responsive due to the interrupt load.  I'll try to
> increase the polling frequency too see if this increases the bandwidth
> with polling enabled.. Thanks for the advice btw..
>
> - E.

   You are neglecting bus acquisition cycles as well as bus contention.
   Likely your 32-bit legacy PCI bus is shared between many devices.
   1Gbps for small packets is basically hopeless and you're probably
   stalling on the bus.

   Basically, a gigE card in a router you want to perform well in
   anything but a high-speed PCI-X bus (hopefully little or not
   contested) has been a terrible waste of money, in my experience.

-Bosko