Disk buffer / memory utilization

R. Payette premi at altern.org
Sat Oct 30 14:31:25 PDT 2004

> I'm not sure you'll really get rid of the 14M Buffers, but you might
> be able to reduce them - what does:
> sysctl kern.maxusers
> report?
>
> Is this box solely for compiling?  Or is it an NFS server, or web
> server, etc?

used to be 32, after reading tuning, I reduced it to 16. No, if not
mainly for compiling, I build world, kernel and ports on it. It's main
usage is a nat router for our dsl connexion, and a webserver with mysql
for a small web site ( 10 visit / day maximum ).

> From what I see, there is probably still some stuff that can be
> removed.  Do you need eisa support?  NFS?  MSDOSFS?  IPV6?

I just removed eisa, msdosfs and ipv6 but I need nfs. After recompile
and reboot, I gained a little bit and here is the ps -auxw
http://massonerie.kicks-ass.org/psauxw

also, the 12th line of dmesg says :
http://massonerie.kicks-ass.org/dmesg

ACPI disabled by blacklist.  Contact your BIOS vendor.

but kldstat says acpi.ko is loaded. Is it safe to disable it ?

Thanks again for your time