Disk buffer / memory utilization

R. Payette premi at altern.org
Sat Oct 30 08:18:42 PDT 2004

I've read and tried the tuning man page ( i've gained 2-3 M on the
wired ).

This is typical top output during a build process. It's running awfully
slow because the system spend most of it's time swapping, while there
still is that  14M Buf.

CPU states:  4.7% user,  0.0% nice, 13.6% system,  1.9% interrupt,
79.8% idle
Mem: 29M Active, 5696K Inact, 20M Wired, 3208K Cache, 14M Buf, 404K Free
Swap: 128M Total, 68M Used, 59M Free, 53% Inuse, 4184K In, 2448K Out

   PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
COMMAND
10282 root     -20    0 74700K 27336K swread   0:21 21.42% 20.41%
cc1plus
   193 root      96    0  4284K  1536K select 108:52  0.98%  0.98% ppp

What happened with 16-32M ram unix servers ? what's so big in modern
unix that make it unusable on low-end hardware ? How do you build
kernels that fit on a floppy ( mine is 3.3 M and I thought I removed
everything that could be removed from the kernel config file )

freebsd 5.3rc1
p2 350
de ethernet card ( generic dec 21041 card )
ide 4.3G hd
64M ram
kernel config : http://massonerie.kicks-ass.org/kc

Sorry if it's kind of a newbie question. I feel that I'm overlooking
something big not just finetuning

thanks for any help