Disk buffer / memory utilization

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Sat Oct 30 09:11:42 PDT 2004

R. Payette wrote:
> I've read and tried the tuning man page ( i've gained 2-3 M on the wired ).
>
> This is typical top output during a build process. It's running awfully
> slow because the system spend most of it's time swapping, while there
> still is that  14M Buf.

I'm not sure you'll really get rid of the 14M Buffers, but you might be
able to reduce them - what does:
sysctl kern.maxusers
report?

Is this box solely for compiling?  Or is it an NFS server, or web
server, etc?

> What happened with 16-32M ram unix servers ? what's so big in modern
> unix that make it unusable on low-end hardware ? How do you build
> kernels that fit on a floppy ( mine is 3.3 M and I thought I removed
> everything that could be removed from the kernel config file )

 From what I see, there is probably still some stuff that can be
removed.  Do you need eisa support?  NFS?  MSDOSFS?  IPV6?

> freebsd 5.3rc1
> p2 350
> de ethernet card ( generic dec 21041 card )
> ide 4.3G hd
> 64M ram
> kernel config : http://massonerie.kicks-ass.org/kc

Can you send (or post on the net somewhere) the output of:

ps -auxw

Right after the machine boots cleanly?

Eric