decreasing interrupt CPU load

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Thu Oct 21 06:56:51 PDT 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 4:34 PM, Jason Stone wrote:

> I read somewhere that there wasn't a specific reason for not allowing
> device polling and smp to be used at the same time, and that it was
> fairly
> safe to remove the #ifdef SMP/#error block in sys/kern/kern_poll.c and
> compile in both smp and device polling.
>
> I haven't done this in a production environment, but I've done it on my
> smp desktop box, and it seems to work okay.
>

>  -Jason

If you look at http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/polling, the last Q & A
question suggests why it is disabled for SMP.  It seems that polling
only runs on one thread whereas an smp box might handle concurrently
interupts from different devices.

Can the scheduler move the thread to another cpu or is it locked on a
particular cpu?

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com