optimization of the system by recompilation

Alexander Portnoy my-subs at mail.ru
Thu Apr 15 09:45:25 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:21:41 +0200
Patrick Proniewski <patpro at patpro.net> wrote:

> On 13 avr. 2004, at 21:01, freebsd-performance-request at freebsd.org
> wrote:
>
> > So, as You can see, there is not a simple answer to Your question in
> > the common case.
> > If You interested in high performance in some specific task - You must
> > test the task
> > on different hardware platforms with different optimizations (or
> > without ones ;-)
>
> Ok, thank you very much for the comprehensive reply !
> OpenSSL results in particular are very interesting. I've noticed that
> the
> idea cbc bench will just not run on a non-Athlon optimized binary (on
> the
> Athlon of course). Do you have any explanations ?
>
> regards,
>
> patpro
> --

It will run. Just IDEA is not included in binary FreeBSD distribution.
In order to use It You must include "MAKE_IDEA= YES" line in /etc/make.conf
and rebuild world.

>From /etc/make.conf:

# The following controls building optional IDEA code in libcrypto and
# certain ports.  Patents are involved - you must not use this unless
# you either have a license or fall within patent 'fair use'
# provisions.
#
# *** It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to determine if you can use this! ***
#
# IDEA is patented in the USA and many European countries - thought to
# be OK to use for any non-commercial use.  This is optional.
#MAKE_IDEA=	YES	# IDEA (128 bit symmetric encryption)