Performance Problems.. Server hardware smoked by $500 box?

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Sun Sep 28 14:35:16 PDT 2003

Adam C. Migus wrote:

>Devon,
>I am using PHP with Apache 2 and didn't mean to say or imply that it
>didn't work with Apache 2, however, the last time I tried I was
>unable to run it with an Apache 2 server running any MPM other than
>pre-fork.  Have you been able to run PHP with a threaded MPM?
>Please let me know as I'd like to test the other MPM's with PHP...
>
>For reference my Apache 2 and PHP are from ports, the latter is
>mod_php4 compiled with just about everything.  :-)

Well that might be the problem in your case. PHP itself is thread safe,
but there's no guarantee that the extensions are. In fact, I think a
good few of them are not (ming comes to mind, IIRC). In your case, the
killer may be the extensions and not PHP itself. I'd suggest compiling
them as modules and then dl()ing them until PHP dies ;). There's
probably also a list of non-thread-safe modules out there somewhere. But
I fear the list Gods, so I'm not going to change this list to
freebsd-php :) If you've got more questions, feel free to email me
privately :)

--Devon