20TB Storage System

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Sep 3 13:34:21 PDT 2003

In message <3F564F70.1000905 at centtech.com>, Eric Anderson writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> In message <3F564DF6.3090200 at he.iki.fi>, Petri Helenius writes:
>>

>>>You have any insight into the fsck memory consumption? I remember getting
>>>myself saved quite a long time ago by reducing the number of inodes.
>>

>> I have not studied it.  I always try to avoid having more than an
>> order of magnitude more inodes than I need, it also saves fsck time.
>>

>So what's the appropriate way to calculate what blocksize and how many
>inodes you should use?

"Know your data" :-/

"df -i" will report both block and inode usage for a filesystem.

You adjust number if inodes by specifying the expected average
number of bytes per inode (== bytes_used / inodes_used) to newfs.

block/fragment I have not heuristics for, but I think 32/4 is
a good alround setting for multi-GB disks.