20TB Storage System

Max Clark max.clark at media.net
Wed Sep 3 08:43:36 PDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Nelson [mailto:dnelson at allantgroup.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 7:07 PM
To: Max Clark
Subject: Re: 20TB Storage System

> Would I be better off using ccd or vinum for a raid 1 stripe here?

Over hardware raid?  Never; hardware raid is always better than
software raid (but is always more expensive too).  If you're asking
which of ccd and vinum is faster, I don't know.  Try both and tell us :)

- You misunderstood. I am planning to do a Hardware Raid 5 with each shelf
giving 3.5TB of disk. Then I need to put a Raid 0 stripe across the 3
shelves with software to give me the ~10TB filesystem. For this which would
be better... ccd or vimum?

-Max