FReebsd 5.0 network performance problem

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Mon May 5 23:58:41 PDT 2003

> I have two servers, one Freebsd 5.0 running squid and another server
> with identical hardware configuration, running Freebsd 4.8 and
> squid, with the same number of requisitions.
>
> The problem:
> I have the same hardware in both servers, with almost the same
> configuration, but running diferent versions of freebsd, but the machine
> load in my freebsd running the version 5.0 is 1.40 while the load in the 4.8
> server is 0.38.
>
> I believe that something in my network configuration maybe wrong.
> Looking at my 5.0 server:

Don't use 5.0 for production.  If you are going to put anything in
production, use a _very_ recent -CURRENT.  Even then, 5.0 isn't as
fast as the -STABLE series at the moment because it's still in an
awkward transition between locking via giant and fine grain locking.
If you'd like to help figure out performance problems for -CURRENT
however, have you tried running any kernel profiling to see where the
kernel is spending it's cycles?  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden