Real and availible RAM

Kyle Rollin knr at xy.hartford.edu
Mon May 5 11:08:04 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 09:30:30 -0400 (EDT), agent dero wrote
> I have been looking through the kernel boot messages in /var/log
> while working on some custom kernel compile work, and I came across
something
> that I think is very interesting, but doesn't make sense.
> real memory  = 100663296 (98304K bytes)
> avail memory = 94580736 (92364K bytes)
>
> This tells me that FreeBSD recognizes my 98MB of RAM, but it only
> uses 92MB? Are the 6MB of RAM that are left getting shafted, and
> just using power, but not being addressed by FreeBSD? Does this slow
> down my machine at all, I mean, is there a percentage to this? Where
> only x% of 100% RAM is availible or usable?

<snip>

If you look at the way x86 architecture is designed (and somebody else can
feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but system memory is often used in
the caching/shadowing of BIOS. This is where a lot of system memory often
goes before the OS is loaded - also, as Rob said, the kernel itself will
take up memory before the rest of the OS is booted.

If you're concerned that you might run out of memory, RAM is cheap - adding
a stick of 128MB will greatly reduce that risk :)

-Kyle Rollin