Tuning Gigabit

David Gilbert dgilbert at velocet.ca
Mon Jun 30 14:24:58 PDT 2003

Martin> David Gilbert wrote:
>> Well... I don't have any disk controllers to test, but I've
>> verified this behaviour with em, bge, sk, and nge chipsets.  Of
>> these, as I've said before, the em shines.

Martin> I have made some simple speed testing of gigabit NICs too. My
Martin> results are that Linux 2.4.18+ is usually faster and have much
Martin> lower CPU load than FreeBSD 4.8. I have tested the following
Martin> NIC:s em (1000/XT,Anvik), nge(32/33), bge (Altima 1002), ti
Martin> (Netgear GA620T).  For FreeBSD I've found that use nothing
Martin> beats the ti with its special firmware.

I don't think I've had a 'ti' in the shop, but I did find that 5.x is
substantially better than 4.8...

Dave.